Thursday, October 3, 2013

Germany 2013

Landed in Frankfurt Wednesday after a ten-hour flight. For the first time, I flew business class and the main advantage I can see is that the seats fully recline and everyone goes night-night until an hour before landing. So you don't arrive feeling hammered from trying to hold your own in a too-small seat next to a too-large person.
I drove to Damme, where I will stay while attending the Oldenburg elite auction, a first for me. It's just a few miles from Vechta. The autobahn is pretty wild. You can check your rearview, see nothing behind you, move into the fast land and before you've passed a car there is a Mercedes or BMW up your tailpipe. It's not for the faint of heart and makes me appreciate Europe's wonderful rail system all the more.
Another of my favorite things about Europe is the prevalence of small hotels with four to eight or more rooms, with an onsite restaurant. Truly lovely surroundings, charming hosts and good food make these a memorable part of any visit.
And German-style potatoes are the best in the world! I think I finally have the recipe figured out. Brown minced bacon with onions in a pan (I'm using my trusty cast iron skillet when I return home) then toss sliced potatoes with that mixture, maybe add some chicken broth (or maybe the bacon is sufficient) and bake. Yummy.
Tomorrow morning, I head for the Oldenburg Verband bright and early. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment