Friday, September 6, 2013

Yesterday, I drove to Calgary, Alberta, following highway 3 for a couple hundred miles across British Columbia, just north of the Canadian border. Alas, my bucket-list wish of seeing a Woodland Caribou when I passed through their mountainous range did not materialize. Though there are only 45 of these critically endangered animals left in the USA, a snowmobile group has filed a suit to attempt to gain access to their habitat. Woodland Caribou Facts
This morning, I await my friend Jane, who will join me in heading to the show grounds at Spruce Meadows. The event opened on Wednesday but the more prestigious events occur over the weekend. The Rolex Grand Slam million dollar incentive made things extra exciting this year. However, Nick Skelton and Big Star have withdrawn from the competition, so we'll have to wait until next year to see who wins that prize.
I can't wait to see the statue honoring Hickstead. Eric Lamaze on Spruce Meadows and Hickstead
I look forward to the competitions, the bands, the Celle dressage quadrille performances, the battle of the breeds and the general hoopla (not to mention the best equine trade fair ever). I hope you will also have a good time as you follow along.

No comments:

Post a Comment